Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Green Choices Wednesday

Updates on previous Green Choices posts:












On the second attempt, I think we perfected the process of making homemade peanut butter (August 4 post).  The first batch was delicious, but thickened after refrigeration, and was not easy to spread when cold.  We added a couple extra teaspoons of peanut oil to the second batch, and it stayed smooth and spreadable even when cold.  We also like it with a small amount of honey added.  So, we find we can make the equivalent of three jars of peanut butter for about the price of two jars,  the product tastes better, is made from 100% natural ingredients, and is stored in our own reusable container.  What's not to like?  Also, I'm sure we can bring our cost down even further by buying bulk peanuts.











My transition to Green shaving is complete.  On June 30, I posted on the intention to replace canned shaving foam with shaving brush and mug soap, and to replace disposable razors with a reusable razor, either a safety razor or a straight razor.  My July 21 post updated my shaving brush trial, but I had not found a razor yet.  There was no hurry on the transition, because I intended to use the disposable razors I had already purchased.  This week, a friend found me a vintage safety razor at a second-hand sale.  I cleaned and sterilized it and it looks like new!  I picked up some double-edge blades, and it shaves well!  from a Green perspective, I also like the idea of reusing an existing product, like this second-hand razor, for three reasons: it recycles an existing item, it doesn't create demand for the resources and energy required to manufacture a new product, and it cost me $3 instead of $30!

2 comments:

Don said...

If you eat the peanut butter up in a month or so, you shouldn't have to refrigerate it. Just keep it in a relatively cool and dark place like a lower kitchen cupboard.

Vern said...

Don, we eat it at least that quickly, but after tweaking our method slightly, it stays smooth and spreadable when refrigerated. I don't mind the small amount of added peanut oil, because it is pure and natural and comes from peanuts anyway! And since we removet meat from our diets, our fat intake is way down, so we don't mind adding small amounts of healthy fats back!