Thursday, February 4, 2010

Training Tip Thursday

"Tip(s) of the Week: Shoe care is important for success in the marathon, not only your racing shoes, but your training shoes. Here are some quick maintenance tips: 1) Always untie your shoes before removing them. 2) Never wash shoes in a washer, or dry them in a dryer. 3) Don't store them in a cold garage, or leave them in a hot car. 4) Don't use them for other sports. 5) Always wear clean and dry socks while running. 6) Have more than one pair of shoes, so you can alternate, allowing shoes to dry between workouts."

From Hal Higdon's Marathon Training Guide, Intermediate 1 Program, Week 6.
http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Oint1-6.htm

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the very bad habit of slipping my shoes off without untieing, especially since my new shoes are much bigger than usual. Guess I better listen to this advice!

Glad to hear you're like the Nike+!

Vern said...

Kate, I've been guilty of that in the past myself! Especially with my non-running shoes. Then, I might try to slip them back on while still tied, and noticed over time that it kind of beats down the area behind the heel. I do tend to take better care of my runners than non-runners, though... guess that's a sure sign of an obsessive running addict!

Barbie said...

Hey Vern, I am a stickler for putting my sneakers in the washing machine, how else should I wash them? Do I scrub them by hand? Not sure if I can get into all the nitty gritty bits!! What do you suggest?

Vern said...

Barb, I've researched this on the web, and there doesn't seem to be a single definitive answer. A lot of people use the washer with cold water and gentle cycle. That may be OK; I'm not an expert on this. Heat is not good for the shoes, so hot water isn't good. A lot of people hand wash with mild detergent. I use a bucket and a brush and a little dishwashing detergent.

Heather said...

Great tips!

I always forget to untie my shoes before removing them. I need to get better about that.

I also only try to wear my running shoes for running. I have a separate pair for workouts.

Vern said...

I also wear my running shoes for running only! That helps me keep track of the miles on each pair!
Thanks, Heather!