Sunday, April 18, 2010

Marathon Training Program: Week 16 - Taper Continues!



 
(Graphic from my page at dailymile.com. The mileage in the graphic includes both running and cycling miles.)

 
This was an incredible running week.  After a breakthrough 21-mile run to finish the previous week, everything seemed to get easier this week.  Running paces that felt normal in the past suddenly felt slow.  Most of my Tuesday runs, following back-to-back long runs Saturday and Sunday and a rest day Monday, have been slow and sluggish, elevenish on pace.  This Tuesday's 5-miler felt comfortable at 9:01 minutes/mile.  Wednesday's 8-miler felt easy at 9:21 pace.  I pushed myself a bit on Thursday's 5-miler and logged it at 8:18 pace, tantalizingly close to an 8-minute barrier I never thought I'd cross.  After a rest day Friday, I couldn't help testing the the possibility of breaking 8 minutes.  Saturday, I pushed pretty hard and posted my scheduled 4-miler at 7:43 minutes/mile!  I probably pushed too hard for a taper week, and had really tired legs Sunday morning.  Fortunately, Sunday's schedule only called for 12, and I logged this one at an easier 10:18.  With two more weeks to taper before the marathon, I will not test pace further, and will run the rest of my training schedule "nice and easy."

I've also continued to add more cycling miles to my cross-training.  It really helps my legs feel better after the heavy running miles.  Weekly totals: 34 miles running, 28.35 miles cycling, 62.35 miles total, plus three weights workouts and two core workouts:
  • Monday: Rest.
  • Tuesday: 5 miles running, 7.85 miles cycling.
  • Wednesday: 8 miles running, 6.5 miles cycling.
  • Thursday: 5 miles running, 1 mile cycling.
  • Friday: Rest.
  • Saturday: 4 miles running, 11 miles cycling.
  • Sunday: 12 miles running, 2 miles cycling.
16 weeks down, 2 weeks to go!

 

 

No comments: