Friday, June 11, 2010

Food Rules Friday

After several weeks' hiatus, here's a third installment of my weekly feature, "Food Rules Friday," featuring a rule from Michael Pollan's newest book, "Food Rules - An Eater's Manual." Michael Pollan is an acclaimed author and whole food/heathy eating advocate. He is the author of the best selling "In Defense of Food" and "The Omnivore's Dillemma."

Rule #3: "Avoid eating food products containing ingredients that no ordinary human would keep in the pantry."

Do you keep Calcium Propionate in your pantry?  I dont!

Pollan's point in Rule 3 is that processed foods contain a variety of chemicals that are added to extend shelf life, make the food taste better than it is, and to make you eat more of it.

Read the labels on packaged foods.  See the list of additives that many of them contain.  Foods prepared in the home from fresh natural ingredients are much healthier!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Rule #3 is great! It always takes me forever to get through the grocery store as read everything. I have to make sure I don't forget my reading glasses sometimes. Cheers!

Vern said...

They put the ingredients in tiny print on purpose! They'd rather you don't look at them too closely! I also find it challenging to read some of them!

Thanks, Jennifer!