Sunday, October 25, 2009

Recovery Run/Eco-Run and Cool New Gadget

I ran my recovery run in the park this morning, 3.2 miles, even slower and easier than usual.  I started out a bit sore from Saturday's long run, and running hurt a bit until I warmed up completely.  I experienced a somewhat unusual sensation after yesterday's 18 miler; immediately after I finished the run, when I first stood still, I had such a burning feeling in my calves like I've never felt before.  It was like they were on fire for a minute or two, and then the sensation subsided.  It was just a little different from a normal workout burn; it's hard to describe...

A recovery run is a perfect pace to combine with an Eco-Run.  The slower pace allows a better view into the underbrush and a little more time to look.  I took advantage of the easy run to look farther beyond the edge of the trail for litter, and bagged a lot of plastic and aluminum for recyling as I passed by.  One last Eco-Run in this park before I move.



Don't you hate litter?

I also found an interesting new gadget for the blog, a moon phase indicator (see sidebar).  I sometimes look up moon phase information to get an idea of how much natural light to expect on pre-dawn runs.  This gadget will put it at my fingertips on the blog...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment and the add...and more importantly - for picking up other people's litter while you run.

I just noticed the stat tracker on the side bar...that's a lot of diverted waste. Kudos to you - awesome idea!

-K

Vern said...

Kathryn, I'm always glad to meet people who share passion for running and concern for the environment!

You may also be interested in checking out the Eco-Runner blog and website (see Follow list and Environmental Links). Sam does an amazing job because he not only picks up on his runs, but also organizes group clean-ups, encourages the kids, etc.

Thanks for visiting Running Green!