Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Solstice Aftermath


One day after the 108 Sun Salutations, my observation is that it was an uplifting experience, and also QUITE a workout!  By yesterday evening, I could really feel it in my shoulders and hamstrings.  By this morning, my shoulders felt normal, but my hamstrings were quite sore.  I guess that's the big surprise from the event.  I realize that there are 216 standing forward bends in 108 salutations, and each one is a good hamstring stretch.  Just a little surprised to find that there's anything I can do to my legs to generate more than just a little soreness.  I've run two marathons in the last two years.  I run 30 to 50 miles per week, year around.  That works the hamstrings hard.  I do sun salutations (although way fewer) every week, and additional forward bends (standing and seated) as part of other yoga sequences.  I make sure I do at least a few forward bends after almost every run, just because it's a great hamstring stretch after running.  I guess I just underestimated the effect of 216!

Photo credit: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/478

No comments: