Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Quote of the Week - "Twenty-Four Brand-New Hours"

I've been reading the great Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh's amazing book, Peace is Every Step.  I'm only about halfway through, although it's fairly short and written in a very accessible style that makes for quick reading.  I'm taking my time, reading a few pages at a time, savoring them like fine wine, and trying to apply the concepts to daily life as I go.  He begins the book with these words that set the tone so well for all that follows:


"Every morning, when we wake up, we have twenty-four brand-new hours to live.  What a precious gift!  We have the capacity to live in a way that these twenty-four hours will bring peace, joy and happiness to ourselves and others.

     Peace is present right here and now, in ourselves and in everything we do and see.  The question is whether or not we are in touch with it.  We don't have to travel far away to enjoy the blue sky.  We don't have to leave our city or even our neighborhood to enjoy the eyes of a beautiful child.  Even the air we breathe can be a source of joy."   

3 comments:

BLD in MT said...

Oh you are wise to savor this book. I think that when I finish my current read I will have to savor it again myself. It is so good. I found this book to me, as you said, very accessible and also very applicable to daily life.

Vern said...

Beth, as I've been reading, I thought I may start over again right after finishing, to reinforce it!

Teniah Ashlyn said...

Beautiful message...I may have to look for this book! =)